The following residents of the ACT draw to the attention of the Assembly the alarming number of traffic safety issues around the Harrison Education Precinct, bordered by Mapleton Ave, Katoomba St, Nullarbor Ave and Flemington Rd. The roads, carparks and footpaths in the area have experienced a significant increase in traffic due to the increased population of both the education precinct and residential apartment blocks.
Despite repeated requests for the ACT Government to reassess the traffic and road safety strategy of the precinct as a whole, we have been disappointed by the fragmented, localised response to date.
There is major traffic congestion around the drop off and pick up times of both schools and the childcare centre in the area. Issues include the lack of pedestrian crossings, insufficient lanes for queueing traffic into schools, and insufficient parking facilities. These issues have led to frustrated motorists choosing dangerous driving behaviour, which is resulting in a concerning number of near
misses. We are concerned that, if these traffic safety issues are not addressed immediately, future incidents could result in serious injury or death.
Pedestrian and cyclist access in the precinct is dangerous and needs to be improved dramatically, as this is a deterrent for citizens to utilise these active transport modes.
Your petitioners, therefore, request the Assembly to:
● fund an independent study of the Harrison Education Precinct and implement any recommendations as a result of this report in the 2023-24 budget.
● fund works at the bus stop on Nullarbor Ave outside the Harrison School senior entry (such as a recessed bus bay and wombat crossing), to ensure the safety of students using the bus stop.
● fund works around the Wimmera St and Nullarbor Ave roundabout, down to Flemington Rd to increase pedestrian and cyclist safety. Of concern is the traffic islands and ramps, queueing cars and crossing kids, and the access desire lines between the tram stop and the senior school entrance. Suggest barriers to stop pedestrians crossing at locations other than the crossings.
● review and make necessary changes to Katoomba St, to increase the visibility and presence of the crossing, improving pedestrian, cyclist and motorists’ safety.
● review and make necessary changes to the section of Mapleton Ave from the intersection of Sapling St down to the intersection with Flemington Rd, to improve pedestrian, cyclist and motorists’ safety.
● review speed limits in the side streets adjacent to the schools and childcare centre.